Saturday, July 16, 2016

Power Day


The best thing about summer is spontaneity!

If you're like me, you get up everyday to go to work, spend eight plus hours at the office, hit the gym afterward, spend another couple of hours there on your form (or your legs or arms or cardio or core, pick a body part, any body part), then you head home to get cleaned up, have dinner or a protein shake or both, then dabble a few more hours on the Internet checking Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube, or your blogs, write a few things in your blog, or if I'm lucky, take in a Netflix movie before calling it a night, then start the whole thing all over again the next day, then SPONTANEITY on the summer weekends is something to look forward to! 

Today was one of those SPONTANEOUS days.

My daughter (20) and I took a drive to Huntington Beach Pier and went for a four mile run-walk. We arrived early enough to get OK parking and as we drove along Main Street, we noticed even at 9am the community was thriving with breakfast-goers, shoppers, and Pokemon Go-ers! They were everywhere catching 'em all!

One quick note to pet owners who take their fur babies to Main Street, like anywhere, PICK UP AFTER YOUR DOGS! 

This has been a public service announcement!

I'll step off my soap box now. 

Here's a recap of the morning:

The Run

We started at 6th Street and Pacific Coast Highway and ran southbound along PCH for about 1.5 miles. The temperature at 9am was in the mid-60s, cool but not cold. The beach was already crowded and filling up steadily as beach-goers made their way to the parking areas and along the sandy beach. The bike path was a little crowded but not too bad.

I used my Fitbit's timer feature that tracks miles. I didn't want to be gimmicky and use a GPS tracker this time around so my Fitbit came in handy. At the 1.5-mile mark, we made our back. Simple.

We logged about a four-mile run. Not bad, huh?



Power Smoothies

We got cool, refreshing and fresh power smoothies at Nekter. Ari had this fruity Pink Flamingo (pitaya, strawberry, pineapple, agave nectar, and coconut water blended - about 180 calories) and I had the new Mango Delight (mango, pineapple. housemade cashew milk and a little agave nectar - about 248 calories). These were PERFECT after our run. 





Our Breakfast

The guys at Nekter told us about a place where you can get bagels so we went on their recommendations and stopped by Huntington Surf and Sports. I think they should stick to apparel and surfboards.


Our Breakfast

We both had the Sunrise Sandwich with eggs, bagels, cheese and salsa. Honestly, I prefer my eggs scrambled and made on a hot stove or grill, not in a microwave. 

The sandwiches were presented nicely and temperature hot, but that was it -- the only features that appealed to me. 

I guess I've frequented far too many Hawaiian festivals, luaus, and Ho'laulea's where the food is tasty, flavorful and very generously proportioned. I was expecting the same of this surf shop and got a little excited when I saw the Hawaiian and Polynesian paraphernalia. I was sadly disappointed. 


From our view atop the barstools near the window and to the left of where we were seated, there were photos on a wall of many surfers, surfing events, and beautiful ocean waves. This wall caught my eye and I had only wished I had asked one of the employees to tell the history of that wall. I'm sure it's a very interesting story!


The patio area was filling up slowly. The weather was nice and comfortable enough to sit outside for breakfast or a cup of coffee.


The morning was overcast but the cloud covering burned off to beautiful blue skies above.


Overall we would enjoyed the Main Street atmosphere and plan to come back to enjoy lunch and eventually dinner some day before the summer ends.

Shopping

The only shop that caught my eye was this quaint little T-shirt shop, Cali Shore Store.


It was reasonably priced but more so than that, these two particular shirts made me chuckle.

Celebrate what makes you happy!


For all you gym rats -- this one is for you!

Great power day, power run, power breakfast followed by a power nap!


0 comments:

Post a Comment